Monday, February 8, 2010

My 24 hour Log #1

9:40-11:00 am
While at home after waking up


preparing sequences of my own compositions (a flute sonata and a string quartet)
iTunes while getting dressed and checking email:
-Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald- “Take the A Train”
-Bach 3rd Cello Suite
-My roomate upstairs is playing what sounds like Lil' Wayne “I Milli”
-Chrisette Michelle- Best Of Me
-Chrisett Michelle- Love is You
-Dvorak Cello Concerto, Movement I
-Bach Mass in B Minor- I let it play until left

11:00am – 3:00pm


While in Steinert:

-I practiced modulation exercises, Stravinsky “Five Fingers”, and Prokofiev “Rain and the Rainbow”
-someone was playing a Mozart piano sonata
-a piano trio practicing some piece obviously from the Romantic Era, but I can't recall the composer
-a trumpeter practicing
-various pianist practicing music I can't quite hear well enough to decipher.

While in Orwig before my 2:00pm class:

-going over the sequences of my compositions with Professer Shapiro.
In Advanced Musicianship:
-Several modulation exercises on the piano using chromatic chords as the conduit for modulation.
-Arlene playing a two measure excerpt for dictation.

3:00-6:00pm


-While on my way from Owrig to Hatian Creole which meets in the Rock, I heard serveral cars bumping music: three hip-hop (I did not know the song) and one Rhianna “Live Your Life”
In Hatian Creole: two and a half hours

6:00pm – into the night


-Back at home: my next door roommate was playing some sort of Top 40 techno remix
-I took an hour nap: SILENCE
-When I woke up, I put my iTunes on random: Thelonius Monk “Blue Monk” and “It Don't Mean a Thing”
Went to a meeting
-Back home: My roommates and I watching Ru Paul's Drag Race, then Project Runway, various bumper music and what not for television programming.

Itunes in my room until bed while checking email and reading:
-Ravel “Tombeau de Couperin”
-Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 1
-Tchaikovsky String Serenade
-Vaughan Williams's Partita for Strings Walton Sonata for String Orchestra
-Vaughan Williams Concerto Grosso
-Stravinsky Violin Concerto
-Handel Rinaldo “lascia ch'io pianga”
-Handel “venti turbini”, Corelli La Folia,
-Miles Davis “So What”
-Ellington “C Jam Blues”
-Ellington/Strayhorn “Lush Life”
-Sarah Vaughan “Somewhere Over the Rainbow”
-Kirk Franklin “Love”
-Miles Davis Bitches Brew Album
-I let Bitches Brew run while I took a shower and got ready for bed “John McLaughlin” was on when I returned.
-Last song before posting this log: Erykah Badu “Orange Moon”

I'm on my way to bed...or maybe not

2 comments:

  1. If a tree falls into your room, but you keep napping through it, does it make a sound?

    Good catches on the car music - I either didn't hear any while I was doing my log or missed it entirely.

    Interesting how you can recognize popular music (e.g. A Milli and Live Your Life) probably quickly from just snippets or bass lines heard through the walls, despite musical interests that lie elsewhere.

    TV show music is interesting, I think it's become a much more important source of exposure for bands and distribution of music. More evident on some shows, where it pops up at the bottom (JERSEY SHORE, GUILTY AS CHARGED).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex calls attention to something really important, structurally, about contemporary music here - there is no doubt that TV shows (including the bumpers, etc, that you mentioned here, David) and come other areas of everyday life where music was formerly "incidental" have become much more important the the music *business*, and that that may drive changes in the ways we experience music. With the steep decline in CD sales and the less-than-spectacular sales of iTunes (etc) downloads, the music industry is desperate to find new revenue streams. Licensing of music for these sorts of things and, especially, the creation of new music or new versions of pre-existing music for hard-to-pirate formats, like ringtones and video games, have also taken off. In other words, the drive to keep the existing business model afloat is really reshaping our experience of the world.

    And one thing that I think is interesting here is how clearly you try to control your musical environment, David - you listen to what I think of as a LOT of music, and it certainly seems to be different than what filters in from your general environment. It makes me wonder how much of that is intentional, and again reveals to me how little you can actually predict about somebody's *intentions*, simply be observing their *actions*. Is it that you dislike music that falls outside the jazz/art music canon that it looks like you favor (if not 100%) at home? Or is it that (like me) you don't really *dislike* it, but that you have zillions of opportunities to hear (for example) Li'l Wayne on a day-in, day-out basis, meaning that you don't necessarily feel the need to put it on at home, preferring instead to engage with things that are more rarely experienced in other contexts?

    ReplyDelete